Sunday, October 23, 2011

TRUE LOVE

                                                                    Sunday School Lesson
                                                                        October 23,2011

Lesson Focus:
True Love is a gift from God.
Lesson Scripture:
Song of Solomon 4:8-5:1


Introduction:
There have been two interpretations of the song of Solomon.One is that it is a true story of courtship and marriage of Solomon and one of his wives,and it serves to offer guidance to couples.Another is that it's an allegory for the believer's groom, Jesus Christ,and His bride,the church.Either way,the book conveys intense,serious love between two parties.
  

Love's Delight
Song of Solomon 4:8-10 KJV

 8Come with me from Lebanon, my spouse, with me from Lebanon: look from the top of Amana, from the top of Shenir and Hermon, from the lions' dens, from the mountains of the leopards.
   9Thou hast ravished my heart, my sister, my spouse; thou hast ravished my heart with one of thine eyes, with one chain of thy neck.
 10How fair is thy love, my sister, my spouse! how much better is thy love than wine! and the smell of thine ointments than all spices!

footnotes:
In an age when divorce has become common and marriage is under fire,it's easy to become skeptical about the institution and it's importance.But you must establish the relationship.First the groom invites the bride to "come away with me".He desires a relationship with her and woos her with compliments.God desires a relationship with His creation and sent his Son Jesus to die and take care of the sin problem that caused the division.Once we invite Christ in and accept His death for our sins,God fills believers with a desire to love him and one another.Solomon calls his bride away from her hometown,and her family to be with him and to cling to him,to place her security in no one else but him.God called us out of the darkness,away from sin and the lust and desires of our flesh, to be with Him and to trust and rely soley on Him.

The Fragrance of Love
Song of Solomon 4:11-15KJV

 11Thy lips, O my spouse, drop as the honeycomb: honey and milk are under thy tongue; and the smell of thy garments is like the smell of Lebanon.
   12A garden inclosed is my sister, my spouse; a spring shut up, a fountain sealed.
   13Thy plants are an orchard of pomegranates, with pleasant fruits; camphire, with spikenard,
   14Spikenard and saffron; calamus and cinnamon, with all trees of frankincense; myrrh and aloes, with all the chief spices:
   15A fountain of gardens, a well of living waters, and streams from Lebanon.

footnote:
In order for love to be displayed the two parties spend much time together.The passage in song of Solomon talks about a cord,one not easily broken,around the neck of the couple. While yoked together, good pleasant communication,nourishing(milk) and sweet (honey), takes place between them.A comfort level is established in talking to one another about anything and everything,even one's personal information and secrets.In human relationships, and in the believer's relationship with Christ,the communication has to continue to deepen in order for intimacy and trust to build. This is a sign of true love.We now live our life based on God's love for us, but when we truly begin to live base on a sincere love for him we then will too develope an intimate relationship with our creator.

Love's Invitation
Song of Solomon 4:16-5:1KJV

16Awake, O north wind; and come, thou south; blow upon my garden, that the spices thereof may flow out. Let my beloved come into his garden, and eat his pleasant fruits
   1I am come into my garden, my sister, my spouse: I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk: eat, O friends; drink, yea, drink abundantly, O beloved.

footnotes:
By refering to his wife as his sister, we see that there are intimate aspects to their relationship that go beyond sexuality.She is not only his lover, but his friend,his love for her is unconditional.In all relationships misunderstandings occur and love may begin to fade.In chapter 4 a wind was asked to blow.The bible equates wind with the third person in the trinity,the Holy Spirit. As He is invited in to come be a part of the relationship and stir up affections, there seems to be a renewal of excitement and celebration between the couple.The Holy Spirit is the source of refreshment. In our relationship with Christ, when the communication begins to sour with complaints and trouble,the Holy spirit can and will come in a make a positive difference as it renews the joy of our salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment